18 posts in this topic

Vehicle Strategy:

The Bouncy Boulder

Introduction:

Hey C.A.T.S. players, it is MagnusCarlsen and here I've made a guide explaining the most popular strategy: the bouncy boulder, the boosted boulder, the blade boulder or some people call it the flying boulder. The approach works very well when you have high-quality boulders, blades, and boosters. It is very advantageous at any levels (take the second image as an example). Without a further ado, let's get right into the guide. Enjoy.

The Set Up:

The Bouncy Boulder consists of the body called boulder. It is a round body which is easily toppled over and this is a critical factor to the strategy. Make sure that your boulder has two or one main attachment points and one gadget attachment point (take the first image as an example). Secondly, to make the bouncy boulder you will need one or two blades (depending on your stages, lower stages do not need two blades and higher do need two blades to keep up with the damage made with of vehicle strategies). Thirdly, a part to add is a booster as it will be important that your boulder hops over other vehicles (if you have small wheels) or make your boulder get quicker to your enemy (if you have bigger wheels then you won't to able to hop over your enemy) because a blade is melee weapon.

How it works:

These blades are the damage dealers in the bouncy boulder. The small round body of the boulder allows the blades to hit the opponents car even is you fell down. So, the blades can give a hit guaranteed as forklifts do not play a role of the weakness of the blade which is great as the rocket and laser vehicles (except titan bodies) suck at that part. The main benefit is that the bouncy boulder would not work on countering another bouncy boulder, they will just hit each other and who has the most damage and health wins and the laser and rocket vehicles do have that weakness. If you are a surfer, sneaky, pyramid or a classic player who will often get frustrated because bouncy boulders often defeat you. Boosters need to be added to your boulder so you can hop over other players to destroy that from the back or to get closer as the blade is a melee weapon and rocket is great at destroying you if you don't have a booster on. I recommend everyone to try the design and if you don't like it, you can change back, if you are more comfortable with other set-ups. A little trick if you are trying to get instant passes through championships is to change wheels, they usually give big differences and may win you a match, so always try that when using the bouncy boulder.

Conclusion:

From the set-up to the way the bouncy boulder operates. I hope you learn from this thread on the C.A.T.S. forum and please give me some feedback. Tell me if I should do more on other vehicle strategies because there are a lot of good ones.

This is Magnus and I wish you have a great day/night!

IMG_0320.PNG

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 5.31.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 5.35.01 PM.png

Edited by MagnusCarlsen
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Taken said:

The first boulder you showed as example will not work as booster is at the bottom.

Yep, this is just to show where to principle places would be.

Just now, MagnusCarlsen said:

Yep, this is just to show where to principle places would be.

Why don't you show the carbon boulder without the weapons and booster?

• Like 1

Just now, Taken said:

Why don't you show the carbon boulder without the weapons and booster?

That is a good question, didn't think of that.

• Like 1

Just gotta say though... my set of legendarys are making me spend a lot of time with Surfers..... although when I cant make a good Surfer I will make a good blade-based bouncy build.  These bouncy builds are a LOT of fun to play.  xD 

But... I find I can pick off approx 50% of these bouncy boulders off with my surfer and eat them for lunch.    Just put a Big Wheel on the front, and a small wheel on the back.  Instead of bouncing off the top or just flying over, they hit my high peak and fall in front of my rockets.  Dead soon after.  A few of them even get shot to death in mid-air since my rockets are shooting high (I tend to have very large rocket damage and many bouncies tend to have weak health).

I use this tactic all the time during the league to pick up free money, and then go back to my normal config so they can win it back later (because hey... having a high front is usually not a good thing to do). :$    But its also great in the last 2 minutes of a league; I let the bouncy guys have their wins until the end, when I switch configuration at the last minute and pick up an easy 2-3 wins.

So... when you build one, I think its worth it to keep experimenting and get yourself as much bounce height as possible.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrShadowGUN said:

I only have weak boulder. So will wait for better and try it.

You can always wait until you get a good one from a chest or upgrade it. It's worth it.

12 hours ago, xitooner said:

Just gotta say though... my set of legendarys are making me spend a lot of time with Surfers..... although when I cant make a good Surfer I will make a good blade-based bouncy build.  These bouncy builds are a LOT of fun to play.  xD 

But... I find I can pick off approx 50% of these bouncy boulders off with my surfer and eat them for lunch.    Just put a Big Wheel on the front, and a small wheel on the back.  Instead of bouncing off the top or just flying over, they hit my high peak and fall in front of my rockets.  Dead soon after.  A few of them even get shot to death in mid-air since my rockets are shooting high (I tend to have very large rocket damage and many bouncies tend to have weak health).

I use this tactic all the time during the league to pick up free money, and then go back to my normal config so they can win it back later (because hey... having a high front is usually not a good thing to do). :$    But its also great in the last 2 minutes of a league; I let the bouncy guys have their wins until the end, when I switch configuration at the last minute and pick up an easy 2-3 wins.

So... when you build one, I think its worth it to keep experimenting and get yourself as much bounce height as possible.

Indeed, there are very fun. That is pretty creative when you use a big wheel in the front and a small one in the back that works for you. I hope you get more of those 2-3 wins in your league!

I recently started a new account to try different skills & have been playing with bouncy boulder due to bad luck getting a decent sneaky. Many times I get stuck on right side wall & end up getting eaten by the shredders before opponent gets back to me. Probably due to bad slot placements :)

Gotta love (hate) those surfers with the hydraulics on front end :P Sometimes I can get over them with the right wheel combo, but then no instant win, as you will either fly out arena or lose to a previous win. The key is to topple over the front edge with momentum/weight. As surfer front end pulls down, boulder rolls over.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StoopidCat said:

I recently started a new account to try different skills & have been playing with bouncy boulder due to bad luck getting a decent sneaky. Many times I get stuck on right side wall & end up getting eaten by the shredders before opponent gets back to me. Probably due to bad slot placements :)

Gotta love (hate) those surfers with the hydraulics on front end :P Sometimes I can get over them with the right wheel combo, but then no instant win, as you will either fly out arena or lose to a previous win. The key is to topple over the front edge with momentum/weight. As surfer front end pulls down, boulder rolls over.

Yeah, also, if you get stuck on the other side, make your wheel the closest to the ground a bit bigger.

I did run this type of vehicle for a time, however I have found that with the advent of double rockets it pretty much negates any advantage of the bouncy boulder. Especially when one of them launches over and my vehicle carries on to the wall; still dealing out damage from a distance. I can usually get in 2 or 3 hits before making contact with the blades again (if the boulder is even still intact at this point)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Speedtek said:

I did run this type of vehicle for a time, however I have found that with the advent of double rockets it pretty much negates any advantage of the bouncy boulder. Especially when one of them launches over and my vehicle carries on to the wall; still dealing out damage from a distance. I can usually get in 2 or 3 hits before making contact with the blades again (if the boulder is even still intact at this point)

Double rockets is a very good counter to the bouncy boulder but if you are in the golden stages and lower, it is pretty good. Even if you are in carbon, you can flip back to your wheels and go backward to start hitting your opponent.

I've had great success with the flying boulder, until I reached level 22. Ranged weapons, especially the double rocket, are killing me. I'm in a group where the top 7-8 are surfers with ranged weapons. I will need to open more boxes and build something similar in order to advance.

Screenshot_20170531-091303.png

What about boosting Boosters thing?

There is 3 levels for that. I have doubts about it, because it could make this tactic worth with more chances to "fly" away.

Has someone tried it?

CAREFUL WITH BOOSTING BOOSTERS IN SKILL POINTS!!!!!!!!

If you max out, tier 3, the your bot will go into orbit and outta of the arena, instant loss.

worse it isn’t reverasble and you lose a tactic from your repertoire.

Zak Attack 

I know these as “Jumper Builds”, they are an essential part of your repatoire and have there place amongst anyone’s builds.

My preferred counter to these is a repluse mounted on front of your build slung way down low. Jumper bots will hit these and fly out of arena. Well worth spending your skill points on boosting your repluse.

FYI

my proffered set up is a Sneaky with Lifter, Repluse and a Double Rocket. Knob on front with a Sticky Tyre on back.